Monday, November 11, 2013

Homemade Baby Food - Sweet Potatoes

Hubby and I both agreed that when our children became old enough for solids we would do homemade. Mainly to save money but also because baby food isn't just what is says on the label. At first I thought it would be a little hard and time consuming but it really isn't! I thought I would start sharing what foods we feed Kay and how we prepare it.

HomemadeBabFood-SweetPotatoes

I have found sweet potatoes to be one of the easiest foods to prepare so far (next to avocado) Here are the simple instructions:

Take your sweet potato and stab it with a fork all over
Place in microwave for 5 minutes (may vary depending on how large the sweet potato is but I found 5 minutes works well)
Flip it over and cook it for another 5 minutes
Take it out, cut it open and scoop out the insides and mash it up
Either let it cool and feed baby or scoop it into an ice cube tray and freeze.

One average sweet potato is enough for roughly 2-3 meals for a 5-6 month old

When Kay was a little younger I would mix breast milk with the sweet potatoes to make it not as 'chunky'. You can also cook it in the oven for 45 minutes or so but this way is faster for me since I sometimes don't realize we are out of baby food until it's dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment